[Dailydrool] Bad Mother

Jennifer Martin JMartin at wellscolibrary.org
Mon May 2 13:12:19 PDT 2011

Leaving Llewis outside in decent weather was not that bad a thing to do.  It reminds me of the day I let the original three dogs out.  It was the middle of the day.  We had drifting snow.  It was about 10 degrees outside.  The girls came in about 5 minutes later.  No Bismark.  No Bismark.  No Bismark.  Finally I realized it had been a half hour and I hadn't heard a word.  So I go outside and find him stuck in a drift up to my mid-thigh and he couldn't get out.  He was 11 years old, blind and deaf.  Talk about feeling terrible!  I had to wade into the drift and lift him out.  I fell over and had to get him off me and try again.  When I finally got him inside, we were both drenched to the bone.  I got out a ton of blankets and got him warmed up.  He did have to go to the vet to get some arthritis medication for the hip he hurt trying to get out of the drift, but was otherwise unscathed.  I gave him the medicine 2 days and discontinued it because he thought he could jump between the rocker recliners.  I didn't think that was an appropriate activity for a deaf and blind dog to be doing.  Bismark wanted to know what being deaf had to do with it!  Gosh I miss him!  For the record, he lived two more years.  I still feel bad and now keep a timer by the backdoor to set if I think I need to.

Jennifer, Mom slave to Beauford and Bugsey