[Dailydrool] Ada needs to be inducted to the OEBE

Carmen Kraus kdbeads at verizon.net
Mon May 2 16:47:56 PDT 2011

Escape artist.
Why is it I always end up with escape artists?

Let me tell you a little story about the day in central Texas when it
rained..... that would be yesterday.  It was chilly, only in the low
60's and raining!
So, since we haven't had any rain in almost 6 months I step out the
front door to check on the downpour, to see the novelty of rain.  Before
I could even think about what had happened Ada had made it to the
neighbor's yard across the street.  She still doesn't understand the
recall command.  I'm barefoot.  It's TX, grass burrs everywhere.  I
stepped back in, jumped in the first pair of shoes I see and take off
after her.  Kelvin is just a baying at the door by this time and Curie
is barking like mad because I locked them inside and she likes playing
in the rain.  I go through 3 back yards, a full block, and have to
figure out which way she went.  I catch a sight of her tail heading back
towards the house on the street and take off again.
She then proceeds up the hill past my house a block and then..... the
sky opens up and really starts dumping the rain.  Ada finally realizes
there is water coming from the sky, she is not a big fan of water, and
runs up on my neighbor's porch.  By this time all my neighbors are out
and laughing, they are all elderly and can't really help except 94 year
old Miss May.  Ada was on her porch.  Miss May gets out of her chair and
starts toward her with her walker, scares the crap out of Ada who then
tries to push open her door to get away from the walker.
I'm soaking wet and have finally caught up with her.  I didn't grab a
leash when I barreled out of the house so I reach down, heft Ada up and
over my shoulder like a sack of potatoes and head back to the house.  I
no sooner walk inside and change my wet clothing than the rain
completely stops and ALL the bassets are at the back door wanting to go
out to pee.  With Ada bouncing up and down all excited and hyper.
I realize then that the shoes I had put on had been put on the wrong
feet and were my chicken feeding sandals that are literally falling apart.
Had this happened on Saturday when it was 100*F out I would NOT have
been able to catch the little monster.  That's her nickname actually,
Ada Monster.  Or Ada Munster, depending on my mood and what she's done
to deserve being called it.

And the vet thinks she's 10 years old.......  She out ran me, which
isn't easy, I really think she's younger than 10!!!

Carmen and herd