[Dailydrool] gus's diet (or lack therof)

sfwill at aol.com sfwill at aol.com
Wed May 11 06:25:51 PDT 2011

Gus's 5th birthday is saturday!  i've been slave to him for 20 months now and i feel like he's been by my side my whole life.
when we first met in october '09, he was a scrawny, 38 lbs.  his ribs stuck out and he looked tiny.  20 months later, he's 54.8, as of the vet visit yesterday, when he got his toebones clipped (which he loves, by the way.  he puts his paw out just like his mama when she gets hers done)  anyway, after reading the drool these 20 months, and becoming so much more knowledgable, i started thinking that i would hate to lead him down a path to obesity, with all the problems that brings with it.  so, i started the green bean diet yesterday.  actually, they were haricots vert, since that's what i had on hand.  same thing, smaller, with a fancy name.  i put them on top of his kibble (which is purina 1, which the rescue told me they had him on when i got him) and hoped for the best.  well, he ate all the kibble, dropping the beans to the floor on contact.  he doesn't like soft food, bananas, watermelon, etc; he prefers a crunch, so i didn't cook the beans to death, just al dente, let's say.  but alas, no luck.  he gets a treat when i leave in the morning, a treat midday when my neighbor lets him out and a treat after supper.  low-fat treats, that is.
so, here's my query.  if i want to maintain his weight where it is now, does anyone have other "diet" ideas?  he is my whole life, i don't care what it costs, so if a better kibble is the answer, that's fine with me.  i just want him to stay his healthy, happy, snuggly, cuddly, bouncing, jumping, smiling baby boy.  oh, yeah, and we walk everyday for about an hour.
thanks for any suggestions you may have.  and i, like all of you, send gentle thoughts to those who have lost their babies recently and gus sends drool to those who may be ailing.  we care for all of you from the bottom of our hearts.
susan, loving slave to gus
gus-doz green thingys?  worms!  me dont eet worms!