[Dailydrool] Fear of Thunder, rain etc etc

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Fri May 13 04:15:49 PDT 2011

To make this Basset related, I remind you that Cooper, notabasset, lives
with 3 of them so he is kind of an honorary Basset altho I suspect he would
not care much for that designation.
I have tried umpty million things for fear of thunder, which this dog has in
the extreme. He is slightly short of leaping through windows (Yes, dogs
actually do that) to get away but so far my efforts to assuage his terror
have been highly unsuccesful. He has the thundershirt. Maybe it helps a bit.
We have fed him enough benadryl to calm a gazelle being stalked by lions. He
cannot take a lot of sedatives due to his breed prediliction for dying on
them. Bach's remedies didn't touch him. Richard's remedies were perhaps a
hair better.
Then my Vet began telling me about "Composure liquid."
Last night we tried it.
First, it stinks, and is sticky so let me warn you about that.
Secondly, it seems to really help!! TAAA DAAA!
Not a lot but more than the others, and if I had thought to put the
thundershirt on early, it might actually have worked. Altho he was restless
and panting and drooling, he was not as frantic as usual. I did a lot of
reinforcement for "calm" (this is a relative term) behavior.
Anyway I got it through my Vet and it seems to help.
"Composure Liquid".
Remember: if it doesn't work for the dog, you could try drinking it
yourself. (No don't-- it says not to.)
Since no one is around to read this I am hoping the moderator will let it
through even though it is not terrible Bassety.

MomPerson to Nigel, Llewis, Conley and the Gazelle.