[Dailydrool] Warning re: puppies in the yard (be aware of this danger!)

Hinchliffe at aol.com Hinchliffe at aol.com
Sun May 15 05:29:22 PDT 2011

(First of all, nothing bad happened, so don't worry.)

Yesterday, I was visiting my friend, whose dog had four gorgeous, big, fat,
 happy, healthy puppies.  She lives on a small lot in a highly-populated
suburb of Boston, with houses tightly next to each other.  (Just so you  know
that this didn't happen on a rural ranch, where it might sound more
likely.)

We were sitting on the back steps of her porch, watching the four
six-week-old babies romp and fall over and try to play and puppy-growl and roll  and
just have a great puppy time.  Suddenly we noticed two hawks circling
overhead.  Just at that instant, one started to swoop down at the  puppies.

Luckily, we both ran and hurled ourselves to cover the puppies, then
grabbed them and raced inside and everyone was all right.  But  what if we hadn't
noticed the predators in time?  What if  there had only been one of us?
What if she were alone with the  puppies and then stepped inside for an
instant to get a camera?

As she has thought about all the things that could happen to the  puppies,
and has taken every precaution to protect them, it NEVER dawned  on her to
think about hawks swooping down from the sky.  She lives a  15-minute drive
from downtown Boston!

It took me hours to fall asleep last night, because I kept replaying what
happened, and the what-ifs.  So I wanted to pass this on to all of you, so
that whenever you have a puppy (I'm guessing it was their bouncy movements
that  made them look like bunnies, like prey) you'll be aware that, as safe
as you  make the environment around them, danger can also come from a
suburban  sky.

--Shaken Beth H. (Duchess ATB and Blueberry ATB)