[Dailydrool] Bassetude and Natatude

Dale Rutz dalerutz at sbcglobal.net
Mon May 16 13:58:49 PDT 2011

Whew!!  I guess we were always supposed to be a basset family, I’m just slow on
the uptake.

Last night I took Cyrus and Snoopy for their walk by myself.  Snoopy has been
getting much better on walks but last night was FAR from stellar.  I suspect the
approaching full moon, or maybe weird weather, but he was pulling and I wasn’t
having any … seriously Snoopy was galloping in place with me holding on for dear
life …. I even moved the lead from his harness to his martingale to try to slow
him down which makes him pull less but I have to pay MUCH more attention because
he’s smart enough to let it go slack and then slip the @#* thing if I don’t
watch.  Oh, and then these two ladies came up the street from the other
direction with a Golden retriever and Snoopy just went NUTS.  So I told Cyrus to
sit and grabbed Snoopy by the harness to prevent disaster and I’m trying to help
him into a sit and he’s screaming and lunging and twisting and this goes on for
a LONG time and I can’t understand why he’s not calming down and then I turn to
look and these @*#@ ladies STOPPED directly across the street from us to WATCH
and STOOD there … for like minutes … well when they realized I was GLARING at
them they WAVED to me (yeah, I didn’t notice you standing there) and when I
continues to GLARE then they decided to continue on their walk.  DEEP breath ….
Calm down … ok ….. take the beast and his brother home now ….

Well guess what, Snoopy was pretty darned tired after our walk (ya think?).
Actually that’s a problem because Snoopy sleeps with Natalie who is 11 and goes
to bed at 9:30 … and it wasn’t even 9 yet.  And while she will sometimes go to
bed 5 or 10 minutes early if Snoopy is sleepy she’s wasn’t going to bed an hour
early for him and he won’t use a dog bed at night and he was SO tired so finally
we decided that I’d boost him up on her bed and she’d finish her homework on her
bed with him.  Which seemed to work fine.  I mean, poor little Snoopy as a very
wrinkly face anyway and when he can’t keep his eyes open it’s beyond cute, he’s
just a mass of wrinkles, no eyes, just wrinkles, and when I put him down and he
barely made one turn and he was out cold.  Natalie did her homework and brushed
her teeth and put on her pajamas and turned out her light and went to get into
bed and that’s when I heard it.  First a loud GRRRRRRRRRRRR which had me
SPRINTING down the hall at top speed but what followed was simply HILAROUS.
“SNOOPY, that’s just RUDE!  This is MY bed and I need to some space AND some
covers and you will NOT speak to me that way!  Now, you just move over and be
nice”  Snoopy answered …. “harrumph!”  I got there as she pulled the covers over
herself and turned her back to Snoopy and he rolled over and turned his back to
her and they pressed their spines into each other and went to sleep without
another word and stayed that way till morning.  Seriously!!

--Dale  with Snoopy and Cyrus the tall dog