[Dailydrool] Gerdie update

mjokela at camulus.com mjokela at camulus.com
Tue May 17 10:04:05 PDT 2011

Well, our first Michigan Waddle didn't completely turn out how we had hoped it would.  We woke up Saturday morning to Gerdie being very sick.  She could barely walk, was trembling and refused any food.  Once she refused food I knew something was majorly wrong as she NEVER refuses food.

Thanks to the aunties help, we were able to determine she had a fever so we started her on some antibiotics.  Within a half hour or so her fever was down and she was resting comfortably.  We stayed in the hotel room with her the whole day to watch her.  She was still very lethargic but she did start to improve and her appetite came back.

We headed home Sunday around 11:00am and didn't get home until 1:15am.  We all went to bed, Gerdie was snuggled in with me so I could keep an eye on her as she still didn't seem "right".

Yesterday I called the vet and wanted to get her checked out.  They told me to bring her right in.  Of course as soon as we get there she perked up and started to pink up as well.  They did blood work and everything looked normal, so they were perplexed as to what could have been wrong.  They said that they could take an xray if we wanted but that she seemed fine.  We opted to do the xray anyways and are very glad we did and the dr even said he was glad we did!  It turns out Gerdie must have bloated...she had gas everywhere and her stomach was partially turned.  We administered meds and today she is feeling much better...and yes I cheered when she finally started to fart!!!!

I am staying home with her today so I can keep an eye on her but she continues to improve.  She is back to her sassy but loving self.  Wanting to let me know she is famished and trying to keep the youngsters under control.

I just thought I would post this as she didn't have the classic signs of bloat at all!  Not one of us thought bloat and neither did the dr.  We went with our gut feeling that something was still wrong and boy am I glad I did.  So just remember...you know your dog(s) best!

Thanks to everyone who stopped to say hi to her and sent drool her way!

Melissa
Gerdie, Oliver, Sarge, Maddie and Homer ATB