[Dailydrool] Calendar Day

Elizabeth Lindsey erlindsey at comcast.net
Wed May 18 19:20:05 PDT 2011

I've almost let this year's calendar day pass me by. Today's hounds
are our friend Owen, who lives with his human Jennifer, and our
Elsinore and young Charlie, who live with me and Ken. Owen and
Elsinore are alumni of Basset Hound Rescue of Alabama, and Charlie's
a foster failure from Bluegrass. We're guessing that Owen and
Elsinore are about ten now, while Charlie is five chronologically but
about two in his heart.

We met Jennifer some years ago when she and her first basset, the
late Macy, moved into the house catty-cornered from us. We had our
late Jane Basset at the time, though not for long. Jane died soon
after Jennifer moved into the neighborhood. Thankfully, Jennifer
began taking a night course and needed someone to feed Macy and let
her out on those evenings. Before long I was able to coax Jennifer
into letting me enjoy Macy's company every day while she was at work.
This made my grieving for Jane so much easier. Although Macy wasn't
Jane, she was still a basset and a dog. She gave me back the whole
dog-care routine I'd lost when Jane died, keeping me company during
the day while I worked from home, just like Jane used to. Macy, and
Jennifer, were truly my friends in need at one of the saddest times
in my life.

Owen joined Jennifer and Macy's family about six months later. At
first I wasn't sure I would be able to love Owen much because I was
so very fond of Macy. But Owen's a wonderful boy, and I discovered it
was impossible not to love him. That spring I decided I was finally
ready to find a successor for our Jane, and that's when Elsinore came
into our lives and extended pack.

It's been fun watching the friendship between the three hounds in
today's calendar photo develop. Owen and Elsinore developed an almost
immediate love for each other. Initially they played hard and cuddled
up close. Over time their relationship has come to resemble that of
an old married couple, despite living in separate houses and seeing
each other less frequently. They may grump at each other and push
each other's buttons, but the affection they share is deep and true.

When Charlie was a puppy he hero worshipped Owen, following him
around the house and yard with an awestruck expression on his face,
eager to do whatever Owen wanted to do and looking thrilled when Owen
wanted to interact with him. As time has passed, Owen's slipped off
his pedestal a bit, but Charlie still thinks the world of him.

Charlie also looks up to Elsinore. At first, when he was still a
puppy and very new to us, he was afraid of her. I regret to say,
Elsinore took advantage of that. She thought it was funny to run up
behind Charlie and spook him. But after a couple of weeks with us,
Charlie began to feel more comfortable with her, and then all of a
sudden he was tightly bonded with her. She is everything to him, and
he looks to her whenever he's unsure of how to handle a situation.
Elsinore could take or leave Charlie at first, but now, after having
him in her life for over four years, she's as bonded to him as he is
to her.

I feel very blessed to have this wonderful extended pack of bassets,
which unfortunately no longer lives as near to each other as it once
did. Jennifer continues to be just as generous with her dogs, though.
In fact, sometimes she'll call to say Owen's feeling depressed about
being the odd man out with his two non-basset sisters and can he come
stay with us for a week or so? Of course he can! Our hounds also get
to visit one another when one of us humans has to be out of town.
They love being together, and it's even better when we humans are
able to join them and make the pack complete.

Elizabeth