[Dailydrool] Jolie

Janet Heald basset_hound_home at yahoo.com
Sun May 22 16:39:43 PDT 2011

Silly me thought this group was part of the threads at "The Daily Drool" page so this may be new news for some of you, but I'm looking for thoughts if you've got them.

Jolie (she is 5) became unable to use her hind legs beginning around the 20th of April.  She ended up staying with the vet for about 4-5 days and then we brought her home and continued giving her Prednisone 2x/day (5 mg each time).  She seemed to continue getting better and after about a week could take the 3 steps up and down to the doggie door.  We weaned her off and she regressed.  Vet put her back on Prednisone.  This time 20 mg pills where we gave her half a pill 2x/day.  She was back to her old self again.  Came time to wean her off and she could get around with 1x/day, but it wasn't the same.  Next came 1x/every other day.  The first day we didn't give her the med she was dragging her hind legs by mid-evening.  We gave her a pill about 11 that night and then called the vet in the morning.  He said to put her back on 1x/every day and she's gotten better, but you can tell she isn't moving around like she was.  Tomorrow we are back to
 "no pill" for the day to see if this was just a fluke or a trend.  We are guessing she'll be dragging her hind end by evening again.

The original "diagnosis" was either an injured disc, a ruptured disc and then when she bounced back so quickly a possible stroke that affected that area and collaterals took over.  Here's where my question is..... have you seen this type of behavior for any other reason than a disc or stroke? Could it be a tumor pressing on the nerves?  We never did a scan as it seemed fairly obvious the day she went in and we didn't got the MRI route.  I think we may ask for a scan this week just to see if anything can be spotted.

Thanks for any help you can offer.
Janet