[Dailydrool] A warning

Alicia Pool apool at wolfrogersdickey.com
Fri May 27 06:42:40 PDT 2011

While this is not basset-related, I wanted to pass this information on
because I consider all of you to be my friends.  This week I became the
victim of credit card theft.  However, this occurred in a way that I never
would have thought of.

I go online yesterday to check my banking activity, which I do several times
per week.  My credit card account shows up with my other accounts, but I
notice that the last four digits of my credit card are not correct – and
then notice that there were $1,875 of pending charges on the card and I
hadn’t used it.  I immediately call the local branch of the bank to find out
what is going on.  I get “you didn’t call Monday to report your card
stolen?”        Why no, I did not.  Well your card was reported stolen on
Monday, we closed it and issued a new card.

What I can’t figure out is how all of the security information that I had to
provide to talk to them would have been available to someone else to the
point where they could get the new number and start using it in just a
couple of days’ time.  I had to provide my life story including my security
question – my mothers maiden name – which is an extremely unusual name for
them to even talk to me.  Anyway - please beware.

Alicia, Flo, Gabe and Liz