[Dailydrool] Basset Weights

kacy green greenlikethecolor at gmail.com
Thu May 5 09:03:46 PDT 2011

Cowboy is from a Missouri BYB and was described as a mini-basset. The
breeder wasn't advertising them all this way, I don't think he was
intentionally bred small, he just happened to be the tiniest of the litter.
At 14 weeks when we got him he was 14 lbs. Now at age 4 he is consistently
38 lbs. We call him petite because he is much smaller than Rupert and many
other "standard" hounds that we see; however when attending large basset
events, there are many others in his weight range so I don't think his
size is all that rare or petite. He has tons of energy and eats pretty
regularly although he does skip meals a couple days a week.

Rupert was found as a stray around age 1.5. He was only 26 lbs. At age
4(ish) he is now right around 65lbs and looks great. I cannot believe he was
so skinny and malnourished when he was found. He gets walks daily along with
occasional hikes, park outings, beach runs, etc. If he didn't, I know he
would end up being overweight. This boys loves to eat and never misses a
meal.

Drool to all,
Kacy with Cowboy and Rupert
San Diego, Ca