[Dailydrool] Green Bean Diet

Rose Hughes rosekh at aol.com
Thu May 5 17:54:54 PDT 2011

Last year my Annie was up to about 67+ lbs.  The vet wanted her down around 60 (her comment, "When we saw her last year, she weighed 60 lbs and we didn't note that she was emaciated..."  OK, point taken!)  At the time I was feeding her a cup of Eagle Pack dry food, a heaping TBS of canned food and a few TBSPs of rice (to firm up the stool) twice a day.  The vet had me cut down to 3/4 cup of dry, a scant TBSP of wet, 1/4 can of string beans and a TBSP of pumpkin (instead of the rice) twice a day.  I also cut back on treats (half a biscuit instead of a whole after walks) and less of whatever I was eating.  The weight came off very easily and Annie has been at about 57 lbs for the past 6 mos at least.  I thought maybe she was a little too thin, but the vet said she looks perfect.  She still eats her "diet" amounts of food, because my vet is concerned that she will put the weight back on, but she gets more treats and more scraps now.  Fred was at maybe 63 and I cut him to the same diet as Annie, but he's stayed at around 60-61 lbs, which is fine for him...he's a lot more solid and muscular than Annie is.

Hope this info helps!!

Rose, Annie and Fred