[Dailydrool] basset weights

Eva DeVaughn babynugs2003 at yahoo.com
Thu May 5 19:04:27 PDT 2011

Almost all of the bassets in Ohio are the smaller weight, 40-50 lbs. i was told they are "french" bassets and the larger ones are "english". The first time some of us from Ohio went to the Michigan Waddle we were shocked at all the fat bassets. There is a difference bewteen big boned bassets and just plain fat. I don't understand why people think they have to feed them every thing they eat and then say i do not kow why he is so fat. i keep all of my dogs on the thin side. it is better for their health. Even my blood hounds are on the thin side.  I don't have their ribs showing but they definately have a waist. Why give them health issues by making them fat. When they are over weight they form a fat pocket around their heart and are good canidates for a heart attack. OBR got in 1 dog that weighed 101 lbs. She could not do 1 step to get in and out of the door. We put her on the green bean diet and she went down to 70 lbs. Afte she was adopted they got
 more weight off of her. She could then run and play and do multiple steps. I feed my hounds veggies and fruit they love them for treats.
Eva and Princess Nugget ATB