[Dailydrool] elk antlers

Cheryl Stafford cstaffordmail at gmail.com
Thu May 12 14:31:35 PDT 2011

I ordered deer antlers from Ceasar Milan's website for the boys and
Mollie.  I was surprised at how short they were even though the were the
"large" size.  The boys chewed on them a little but found them to be too
much trouble I think because they had a hard time holding on to them.
Mollie, on the other hand, loved them.  She is an EXTREME chewer, and
ate one down to where I felt it was too dangerous and now she is on the
second one.  I never saw any chips come off but she does wear them
down.  The gnawing gets more aggressive when she gets deeper into the
center, whatever it is.  So, I don't know if elk antlers are the same
consistency as deer or not but I'd give it a try if your dogs don't have
teeth of steel.
On a side note...I also bought them flattened bully sticks about 12
inches long and a quarter inch thick.  I was assured there was no way
that they could chew/eat them for a very long time.  I sent the boys to
the bedroom with theirs and put Mollie on the porch with hers.  I stay
with the boys to monitor while I can see Mollie through the door.  I
checked on her periodically and after 10 minutes she had eaten all but 4
inches and the boys hadn't gotten any after the same amount of chewing.
So I took that from her immediately.  I can't find anything for her to
chew that will last.  Any suggestions???

Cheryl
Otter, Radar and Mollie the Bloodhound