[Dailydrool] Are these folks crazy or the best thing I've found yet?

Pamela McQuade bassetizedslave at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 1 06:25:50 PDT 2011

Friday the folks at the vet's office took me out of my run. I was wearing my new harness that I think the nice vet lady gave me, because she really loved me, even though she couldn't keep me. What was happening now, I wondered?

I went out to the reception area, and there were two people who smelled like basset hounds--well, at least a little. There was a funny smell too. Later on I found out that it was CAT! You wanna watch out for those cats, 'cause they are so mean.

We went to their house--where the cat and two other bassets are. I was schmoozing around, gettin' to know the place and trying to figure out the cat, when there was a big boom, and it suddenly got really dark, and soon it was cold. This boom was worse than the first one that the humans had said was a limb that hit both their cars. That first boom was just a scary noise to me, but the cold-making one was a whole tree that came down. It took down all the power lines to the house and street, the humans say. No lights. No heat. The new humans wrapped me up in a blanket on the bed, 'cause I was shivvering. I don't like cold. And I was scared with all the noises of snow and tree parts coming down. We stayed there all night, with me wrapped up and between the new humans. I was starting to wonder about living in this new place. Seemed pretty crazy to me.

Then we went to a funny place. It had three floors, though I only ever saw one. The new foster mom and dad went from one to the other, and I didn't see them all that much. I did not like that and let them know about it with my loud voice. My foster mom says that she was in the kitchen, upstairs, sometimes. Dad was in the conference room, starting his new job online. They came to visit and take us out. But this place wasn't like home, really. And the steep stairs were really hard for my short basset legs.

Then we left that place. Dad rented a big van. We piled into it, and these mean foster people (even though I adore them) took me to an eye vet. My eye had been funny earlier in the day, and the first vet's office said I should get checked. We drove and drove. Then everyone stayed in the van while mom and I saw the new vet. He thought my eye was just fine, but he told mom that it could cause trouble any time. That worries me, 'cause I lost my other eye earlier this summer. But the vet says that's the way glaucoma is, even for a five-year-old fellow like me. I'm just taking life one day at a time, and this day is good. After we went to the vet's we came to another place. It is a house. It's warm and comfy, even if I can't sleep in my favorite place, the couch. The man here is nice to dogs otherwise, and he's letting us stay until the humans have things worked out. Then we'll go home to our warm house. I don't think I'll want to leave it, 'cause even
 though these people might be a bit crazy, they are really nice to me, as long as we don't go to vets who stick things in my eyes.

I sure like these new people, and I think they like me. Mom says I'm not going anywhere, but we sure have gone a lot of places since I first met them. I hope they aren't crazy--except about bassets!
Dexter (AKA C. Dexter Haven), the latest Dashing Basset foster

Mom's note:
Yes, we picked Dexter up Friday and got slammed by the snowstorm on Saturday. We have probably lost my car, and Drew's will need some work. Once an electrician comes to fix the wiring to the house and the electric company gets the lines fixed, we'll need to have Verizon do their thing too. So if you don't hear from us, it's because we're without power. But while we are staying with this very generous friend, we should be online for a while.

Dexter has charmed everyone he's met. The vets love him. He's such an upbeat fellow, despite having only one eye. As soon as things have settled down, we will see about adopting him. Drool, please, for his eye. The vet told me he could keep his sight for as much as two years. Let's hope it's longer rather than a shorter time. Dex is such a character and as charming as C. Dexter Haven in THE PHILADELPHIA STORY. He could certainly play Cary Grant's role.