[Dailydrool] Rage

Elizabeth Harmon harmone at bellsouth.net
Tue Nov 1 08:10:13 PDT 2011

Wow.  After reading the posts on rage in dogs, I feel better about my Maggie.
Maggie absolutely hates men, especially men with facial hair.  I got her when
she was about 10 months old.  I know her former owners.  I asked them one time
about her and they shook their heads, saying "oh, Maggie.  We had many a prayer
meeting with Maggie."  I changed the subject quickly.  I didn't want to hear any
more from them.  It was clear to me that they mistreated her.  I didn't want to
go to jail for assault, wasn't the time to go Marlene.

Maggie is the sweetest girl.  She loves children, especially my grandchildren.
They lay in the floor with her and watch TV, they rub her ears, and always want
to see her teeth.  She has never so much as growled or snarked at them.  She
adores my sons, but will allow no other man near the house.  I have no idea how
they treated Maggie, but the thoughts of someone mistreating my sweet girl boils
my blood.  She never gets that glazed look, and never has attacked my other dog
for no reason, only when he got to close when she was going through a false
pregnancy.  I have spent the last four years loving her, she apparently never
felt loved and safe before.  I am always careful with her, I don't take any
chances.  Some people just don't deserve to be owned by a basset.

Is this something that she can work through?  She is much better than she was
when I first got her, but there are still issues.

Elizabeth, Maggie and Eddie the wannabee