[Dailydrool] KK: Kennel cough

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 12:44:51 PST 2011

There is a vaccine for KK. It does not cover all the different forms of it
but it helps. A little like a flu shot for people: doesn't promise you
won't get a different flu virus but it should make it not as bad.
Any dogs that are around groups of other dogs (not your own) should be
vaccinated for KK in my opinion, especially puppies and the elderly. Again,
like people flu shots, babies and the elderly are the most likely to suffer
complications.
Normally KK is self-limiting running about 2 weeks during which time your
pet hacks and throws up foamy pukeage. You can get meds to help with the
coughing and you need to watch that it gets better and not worse. It CAN
become pnuemonia, I have had it happen in a puppy. It isn't commonly that
serious. Keep an eye on the dog and stay in touch with the Vet if you are
concerned.

MomPerson on her NEW COMPUTER
to Nigel, Llewis, Conley and Cooper.