[Dailydrool] dogs and trees

J Marchlewski jan3luski at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 16:18:11 PST 2011

I remember fondly the last year that we put up a big tree.  We just
finished remodeling the kitchen and family room.  We purchased a new 7 foot
tree that Christmas -a pre-lit one.  At the time, we had Katie (a
greyhound/lab mix), Baby (gsd-mix), Hunter (beagle), and Tia (our first
basset hound).  Katie was the alpha dog. Due to failing health, Baby
started her campaign to become the alpha.   One day Baby went after
Katie in a fight.  Katie was almost 13 years old with severe arthritis but
a sharp mind.  As Baby started her attack, Katie dived under the tree.
Baby being a good gsd knew better than to touch that tree.  Baby stood
there growling and trying to figure out how to get to Katie without
touching the tree.  The fight ended quickly.  Not one ornament was knocked
off the tree.  It was the last year of a tall tree because by
time Christmas rolled around the next year we had three basset hounds in
our house - all three years and under.

Now we have five bassets plus a foster or two at Christmas time.  A small
tree is placed on the table.  As year, we used our foster's crate to block
the young bassets (Jefferson and Boomer) from getting to the tree.  I'm a
little concerned how the small tree will do this year - we added a cat.
Not just an ordinary cat but a cat that likes to terrorize the bassets and
then run from them.

It's probably a good thing that we decorate our tree with jingle bells.

Jan
Lady & Dexter