[Dailydrool] my 1st basset was a bassetter

LOIS LEMA lemalois at verizon.net
Sun Nov 20 18:11:39 PST 2011

my 1st basset came to me via an english setter rescue...mr cooper was a "bassetter"..an english setter/basset mix. i had just joined the rescue with my friend, who had at that time an english setter.  i did not.  i had miss casey the chessie.  soon it was posted on the list that they had pulled this odd mix of a dog...well i always had a fondness for bassets (not so much for setters)..so i bugged the president for pix.

she made me an offer to foster to adopt...if he got along with my cat's he could stay.  so i drove to pennsylvania to look at this setter mix...& i fell in love with this dog who looked like he had been assembled by dr. seuss.  he was stumpy like a basset but with the coat, chest & the most beautiful setter tail.

his name was knox after being found in knoxville..i changed it to mini-cooper which morphed into mr cooper.  he was the most amazingly gentle dog you had ever met.  adored special needs folk & older people.  the first week i had him, i had to accompany my setter friend to the nursing home where her dog did therapy.  now her setter was a bench or show setter & was very pretty.  the folks took a look at coop & swarmed him.  i had no idea how he would react since he had just came to me.  he stood rock solid while old folks told him their life stories in foreign languages with tears runn9ing down their cheeks.  mine too.

little kids swarmed him..lifting up his ears to whisper to him.  never did he steal food from them.

his only weakness were groundhogs.  he is world famous for wiping out 11 INSIDE my dog park.  he also would run away from my place but not go far...always to the corner bar where he had a favorite spot & a bowl of pretzels & water.

because of coop i began attending waddles, & basset parties & fostering.  because of coop i failed fostering with buster. because of coop i found my way into a great rescue with some great friends.

he passed last june...miss sally who took his place..she sports his collar..she is a good dog...but she is no mr cooper.

"Creativity is intelligence having fun."  Albert Einstein

"Antiquity"                @www blurb .com
"Tater Takes a Trip"@  www.blurb.com
"Passion...a journey"  @ www.blurb.com