[Dailydrool] Christmas lights

Pamela McQuade bassetizedslave at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 21 12:56:37 PST 2011

For those who have hounds who like to taste test Christmas lights, beware! An electrical shock can cause serious damage to a dog's heart, causing an arrhythmia.

I know this because some years ago our Jane suddenly decided to revisit puppyhood and chewed on an electrical cord. At first, she seemed fine, but the next day she had a sore spot on her mouth, where the electrical cord made contact with it. So I rushed her into the vet's.

I don't think the vet said much, beyond checking her over, but later I read about the danger to the heart. I was so glad I had taken her in, even though it didn't seem like much at the time.

Keep light cords out of a basset's reach. Even an older hound can suddenly decide to chew on that thing that's strung across the floor. We want everyone to have a happy holiday--one not spent in the vet's office with a seriously ill dog.
Pam, food slave to the Dashing Bassets