[Dailydrool] Dry Eye

Marilyn Briggs marbriggs at att.net
Sat Nov 26 17:27:27 PST 2011

Not that I am second guessing any vet, because I certainly am not. But, I have a basset with absolutely no tear duct function. Extreme dry eye. I met his owner, who was surrendering him to Utah Friends of Basset Hounds due to a divorce--I was supposed to foster. Well, I didn't have him in my car before I knew he was mine. Anyway--I spent an absolute fortune on this guy with dry eye and allergies. Drops to start his tears functioning, other drops for this and that. He is probably my most expensive ever. The eye clinic said his eyes should be removed. My vet said as long as he wasn't in pain, he wouldn't do that. Chester is now pretty much totally blind. He is 10 and a half, and I have had him 4 and a half years now.

Bottom line, I buy inexpensive eye drops and use them liberally. Be sure they say Use as often as needed and are just a lubricant. And don't get the kind that take the redness out. I also buy extreme dry eye lubricant salve for humans. It is about $8 a tube at Walmart, and around $1 more at my grocery store. If someone is around to put drops in often, we do that. If I am going to gone for an 8 hour day, or at night, we use the lubricant salve. And yes, Chester did end up blind, but I don't think any amount of money spent on any kinds of drops would have prevented that. He does very well. The first 3 years I tried EVERYTHING to "reverse" the dry eye. Wasn't going to happen. Now, I am just trying to keep him comfortable.

Marilyn Briggs