[Dailydrool] Sunny's diagnosis

Donna Lindy dlindy at mac.com
Tue Nov 29 16:40:42 PST 2011

We did get a diagnosis when we picked Sunny up from the
emergency hospital - pulmonary contusions with undetermined
cause.  Once they ruled out rat poison and pneumonia, the
dr.'s first thought was she had been hit by a car but then she
had no broken ribs; I explained that our side and back yards
are pretty much like a prison  yard, including the floodlights,
since she is a champion fence jumper.  No way was she out
of our yard.  So that leaves the option that it happened while
Gracie and Bosley and Sunny were playing chase in the side
yard which has a lot of ivy, a couple of ivy covered tree stumps
and a brick wall - Sunny is usually the object of the chase so
I can see her tearing around the yard and taking a hit from
Gracie (who is known to body slam) and then rolling or losing
her footing and landing hard  . . . you get the picture. Hard to
believe she could hurt herself as she is a little girl but she's
got speed and she's a jumper.

We have to monitor her coughing, watch for blood from her
nose or mouth or in her pee or poop, watch for any signs of
shortness of breath, weakness or bruising.  And she goes
back early next week for chest x-rays to make sure she's
healed up.  Her x-rays this morning were much improved
and the dr. feels she is doing very well.

Sunny's very happy to be home - she's tried out all the beds
and been in Bill's lap and my lap and checked out the yards.
She took a good nap with me this afternoon and has already
settled in one of favorite beds for another snooze. I'll be in
the basset room tonight to monitor her coughing.

And so all is right with the world again. Our little Sunshine
is back and on the way to being well again.  The things
these bassets put us through . . .

Thanks everyone for all the drool, prayers and concern -
please keep them coming just a little longer so she will
be completely well in a few more days.

Donna, drool fueler for Gracie, Bosley and Sunny