[Dailydrool] Advice: Needed

Veronica Woodruff bassetgrrl at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 13 11:50:43 PDT 2011

I'm sure that at least one Drooler will have some practical advice about Flash's condition.

Everything that could possibly be wrong with Flash has been ruled out by the vet (Cushing's, too).  Last week Flash spent the day in a water deprivation test and it showed inconclusive.  His numbers never *did* reach a point high enough to show much of anything even after he'd been tested for some 10 hours.  His pee is, literally, like water and never concentrated after all that time.  All four vets in the practice were flummoxed.  Flash's bloodwork is flawless.  Dr. MacDonald said the only thing left to do was to treat Flash 'as if' he has diabetes insipidus.  So now Flash is on Rhinyle DDAVP which is used for humans who have diabetes insipidus (Flashy gets two drops twice a day in his eye).

I asked the vet if he thought Flash might have a brain tumour or mass that causes him to drink like an insane thing (I've had to limit him to 10 cups of water a day; Flash would drink 10 gallons if he could.  He even licks up his own pee.  Apart from gnashing my teeth I try to tell myself, "It's only water, really").  Yesterday, and this is not uncommon, I took Flash out three times in about an hour, hour and a quarter.  Not 20 minutes later he peed a flood in the house.  Where does he *hold* it all?  The vet *does* feel there could easily be something wrong with Flash's brain; indeed, that that's a likely scenario.

Apparently, the drops are supposed to kick in (with a leaving over of some water and an ability to hold his urine longer) in about a week to two.  It's been nine days now, with no relief in sight.  Really, I hate to even think this, but it seems as though Flash's days are numbered.

I even said to the vet (and you who have been absolutely desperate for information will understand my despair), "Okay, Doc, let's pretend I'm holding a Saturday Night Special to your head.  And I'm saying, 'You tell me what's wrong with Flash or I'll kill you dead at the count of three.  One.  Two.  Three.  So what's wrong with my dog?"  And he said, "You'd have to kill me dead, then, Veronica.  I just don't know."

So riddle-me-ree, Droolers:  Does anyone have a clue what might really be wrong with Flash?  Or is it diabetes insipidus that doesn't respond to drugs (as in 50% of cases)?

Paul and I are both thanking you all in advance.

Veronica Woodruff

(Stillwater Lake, Nova Scotia)

"Dream as if you'll live forever.  Live as if you'll die tomorrow."  James Dean