[Dailydrool] Increased thirst and a lethargy

Rebecca Stanton stumpypaws at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Oct 17 09:22:01 PDT 2011

Thank you so much for all the emails I have had about Morse - I will take time and reply this evening if I haven't already done so. . Nobody does pitiful like a basset - Saturday afternoon he had a long drink of water and then refused his dinner - stood in the hallway with ears almost on the floor, tail tucked under and the most woebegone expression you can imagine with the water from his drink still drooling from his mouth to the carpet. He finally grazed on some dinner as the evening went on and has been eating fine since, but the one thing we have noticed is increased thirst.  His Piriton ran out a couple of weeks ago and the vet refused to give another prescription until they had seen him, and as it is not prescription medicine a friend advised to get some antihistamines from the chemist, which I did (Cetirizine). However, on checking the leaflet on Sunday morning, I see Cetirizine can cause a dry mouth so have stopped them and ordered some more
 Piriton online. So he hasn't had any Cetirizine since Sunday morning but is still drinking a fair amount - for him anyway. Morse isnt a big drinker and 2-3 large drinks of water a day (4 yesterday) is more than he normally consumes - more than he did in the heat of the summer even.  Although he is having his mad moments, he also seems a little more lethargic - he lay down twice on his walk today.  Any thoughts, droolers? I have wondered if it is a low grade infection with a temperature maybe, then on the other hand there is diabetes, kidney problems, Cushings....right now I am just keeping a close eye.
Drool to all in need -
Becky, Morse and Pumbaa ATB