[Dailydrool] Feeding a puppy

Alla Babushkina Virdee death2myalarm at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 16:47:44 PDT 2011

Hi everyone,
I hope everyone is doing well, and Dascha sends drool to anyone who needs
some. I was wondering if anyone could help me out with figuring out how
much to feed Dascha. She's 7 months, and, at the last vet visit, weighed 25
pounds. When we got her, her previous owner had been feeding her half a
small cup of kibble twice a day. It seemed like a very small portion, so we
asked our vet if it would be ok to feed her a full cup of kibble twice a
day. He said that seemed like a good idea, and Dascha was gaining weight
normally, but she ALWAYS needed to go to the bathroom (not exaggerating:
six times after each meal). Our vet suggested that we might be feeding her
too much, and that her digestive system wasn't coping with that much food.
So we went down to three quarters of a kibble bowl a day. Now she's losing
weight, even though she's still supposed to be growing, our vet has no
idea how much we should feed her, and we're worried that if we don't fiure
this out soon, it will have a negative impact on her growth and
development. The food itself is a high-protein puppy kibble, which Dascha
seems to love. Does anyone have any advice on how to determine the best
amount to feed a puppy?
Alla, caretaker of Dascha, the wonder-dog who is eating my sock off my feet
as I write :)