[Dailydrool] Margaret and Fergus

Jennifer Martin JMartin at wellscolibrary.org
Sat Oct 29 12:44:45 PDT 2011

Oh Margaret!  My heart bleeds for you and Fergus more than you will ever know.  Before I was even on the drool we adopted a beautiful 4 year old girl named Beaker.  As a matter of fact Jan was her foster mom.  We knew going in she had some adjustment issues.  But, we also knew that previous experiences had given us the tools to deal with her.  Unfortunately, we (as in Jan and I) were not given the full story.  I worked with several experienced foster moms.  I used behavioral methods.  I do NOT mean alpha rolling or anything like that.  She was scared to pieces already.  We worked on building trust and having a consistent routine.  We worked on getting her comfortable enough in her own skin to eat.  We had to put her on medication.  She started unprovoked attacks on the other dogs.  I was not feeling safe around her.  Tim was not feeling safe around her.  I took her to the Purdue Behavioral Clinic.  I learned why I was feeling unsafe around her when she attacked the trainer.  They said they had never seen a dog on medication with such profound anxiety.  They said I was doing everything right.  I went home.  I called Jan and all the other foster moms who had helped me.  We all cried.  I am crying as I am writing this.  We sent her to the bridge the next day.  She was at the bridge waiting for Fergus when she got there.  She always wanted her own puppy.  Unfortunately on earth she was too neurotic to do it properly.  At the bridge all her anxieties are gone and she will know just how to take care of Fergus.  Jackie, all dogs do have a home, unfortunately sometimes the bridge with Elder Clara is the best and safest place for them to be.

Jennifer, momslave to Beauford (she was nuts but I tried to take care of her until she bit MY puppy) and Bugsey (I could have been killed, or at least blinded for life, thank doG the scar falls in a wrinkle by my eye!)