[Dailydrool] Fred Bankston, Five Years Later.

James Bankston jsbankston at sbcglobal.net
Sun Oct 30 03:26:04 PDT 2011

Today, October 30th, marks five years since my sweet baby Fred left me. It's been a long, hard, miserable struggle. There was the year-long nervous breakdown, followed by two-and-a-half years of treatment and three years of therapy--which for the most part didn't help much. My personal, financial, and professional situation is almost exactly what it was five years ago, if not worse. My emotional/psychological state--well, that's on and off, but still not very good.

There is one bright spot--Belle--the sweet, silly, goofy, spoiled, gorgeous Basset lady I took into my heart and life eighteen months ago, who turned my apartment from a tomb and back into a home again. Belle is the one thing that gets me out of bed each day, that makes me think the last five years haven't been a complete loss. She's been doing an excellent job filling those Basset-sized holes that were in my life. I can't believe I went over three years without any Basset love, but it took me a long time to decide to commit to a new Basset.

I'm certainly not over Fred, but at least the pain of his loss isn't quite so raw now as it was--thanks to Belle.