[Dailydrool] Flash and Rimadyl

Menzie Campbell menziecampbell at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 21:42:46 PDT 2011

------------------------------
re: Flash and long-term use of Rimadyl.

So I have always had the philosophy that I am concerned about the
quality of my dogs' life as much, or more than, the length of it.  If
my dog is in pain, and Rimadyl helps that better than anything else
does (i.e. glucosamine supplements and other things), then my dog will
take Rimadyl.  If it ends up shortening his life, well that's
something I can't predict.  Hell, he could die of cancer between now
and then, or pancreatitis, or a million other things. But I can't
control those things.  His pain, if I can control, I will.

To that end, I will tell you that Hector, who will be 12 next month,
has been weak in the rear since he went down in April 2009.  That
ended up being diagnosed as an infection in his spine - toxoplasmosis
or something similar - and he responded very well to meds and some
phsyical therapy.  Within 6 months, he was back at about 90%,
mobility-wise.  From that day to this, however, he has been on
Deramaxx (similar to Riumadyl)- 50 mg every day. ( He is also taking
SOD Boswellia, glycoflex, and fish oil capsules).  Just recently, I
ran out of Deramaxx and tried him without it for a week.  He got
noticeable weaker and mroe painful in just a few days.  So he's back
on the Deramaxx from now until the day I lose him - hopefully years
away yet.

BUT - even if you could tell me for absolutely 100% positively certain
that giving him the Deramaxx would shorten his lifespan by a year, or
two even - I would still give it to him.  My job - my responsibility -
to my dogs is to see that they live the best life possible.  They
can't make the choice for themselves, like a human could, to say "Oh,
I don't want to take that risk, I'd rather live with pain".  So I make
that choice for them.  QUALITY of life is always the choice I make,
where I can.

----------Nicole wrote:  Subject: [Dailydrool] Questions on Rimadyl
and formerly "down" dogs
Since everyone was so helpful while my Flash was down in his rear, I
thought I'd crowd source again on how to handle his treatment now that
he's up and moving.

What are your experiences with a dog who's been down and got back up?
Do you keep them on medicine long term? Is it not feasible or good for
his health to be on Rimadyl? Would it be better to have him on
Prednisone? What are the plusses and minuses to one versus the other?

--
Menzie Campbell, President, OMBR, Inc.
Save a Life - Don't Shop, ADOPT!