[Dailydrool] From movie star to published author

Elizabeth Lindsey erlindsey at comcast.net
Wed Sep 7 16:44:24 PDT 2011

Our Elsinore is now a published author. Of a guest blog entry. For
which she hired a ghostwriter (me). So I'm not sure how excited I'd
get about her foray into the printed word. But it's still something
she can add to her resume, and who knows but what it'll lead to even
more interesting life experiences for her.

It's been sort of a consequence of her film debut, which happened
last month when the hospice she does pet therapy work for asked if
she'd be willing to put in a cameo appearance, playing the role of
Pet Therapy Dog in the new publicity videos they're making. The week
after she faced the big cameras for the first time and wowed the
director with her natural acting abilities, the hospice asked me to
ask Elsinore if she'd be up for writing a entry for the hospice web
site's blog.

Of course Elsinore would be up for that because it's not like she had
to actually do it or anything. She has me. I'm not feeling taken for
granted, but it did feel as if something was very wrong with the
picture when I was slaving away on drafts of her blog and she was
snoring quite loudly on her bed in another room altogether. She
didn't even want to proofread what I wrote for her.

This ghostwriting thing was a first for me. I normally avoid putting
words in my hounds' mouths. After all, I wouldn't want them speaking
for me on a lot of topics, so I like to show them the same courtesy.
But the hospice was really enchanted by the whole "Blog by a Dog"
idea (though they wound up giving it a completely different title),
so I said I'd give it a try. This afternoon I put Elsinore on my lap
in front of the computer screen so she could see her blog, and so far
she hasn't bitten me, so I guess she's okay with the results of my
masquerading on paper as her. Actually, she was a whole lot more
interested in looking out the window at some guys in the alley than
she was in focusing on the computer screen, even when I pointed out
her photos to her.

The editor of the hospice blog ran most of his changes past me, but,
as I discovered today, not all of them. I'm okay with some of his
"unauthorized" changes, but I wish he'd left what I'd written about
Elsinore's hobbies. The last item in the list should read, "and
swearing at the mail carrier"--not "having fun with the mail
carrier." So when you read her blog, you'll know what it should
really say. Elsinore is most certainly not having fun with our
carrier. She's telling him through the glass in the front door to go
to hell, and doing this is the highlight of her day. To put it any
other way is to grossly misrepresent her. But Ken says it probably
wouldn't look good to have a warm, fuzzy pet therapy dog sound as if
she can also be Cujo, even if it's justifiable because it's a mail
carrier and everyone knows that all dogs are supposed to harbor a
violent dislike for mail carriers.

The other thing the editor didn't do was include the caveat I added
after the link to the YouTube video of Caroline Scott and Rookie
dancing. In the manuscript I submitted, I noted quite clearly that
Elsinore isn't nearly as good a dancer as Rookie. Rookie was the
consummate pro who trained and performed much more seriously and
frequently than Elsinore ever will. Hence, he was an exceptionally
good dancer. So expectations for Elsinore in the hospice may be
unrealistically high now. But I'm happy the editor didn't delete the
name of Elsinore's alma mater. Whoever reads her blog will be able to
see living proof that not only can bassets be good pet therapy dogs
but also that rescue dogs can turn out to be pretty wonderful dogs.
Heck, that there's even such a thing as rescue groups for dogs.

Elsinore's blog can be found on the Alive Hospice (Nashville) web
site: http://alivehospice.org/blog. It was so long (surprise,
surprise) that they're going to run it in two parts. So you'll see
the first part this week and the second part next week. No word yet
on when her video will be up on the web site, but I'll let everyone
know when it's there.

Elizabeth