[Dailydrool] Final word on Pearl for today

Synthia and Hounds mtnbassets at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 15 17:02:20 PDT 2011

Spoke with the surgeon a while ago. They started the transfusion this morning, and began surgery. Old trauma to spleen (kick?) with lots of adhesions and mass, spleen out. Lumpy kidney (L>R) and L adrenal walnut size. R seems ok. hysterectomy done and fine, gastopexy done and fine. Mastectomy done and enough skin to do B/L so all tumors out. Checked mouth - flaps trashed from all the rubbing. Left not awful and still hopeful. Right hanging by 2 sutures with hole and clot behind it. Tried to attach but not good odds it will take. Also no plans to try again because of all the trauma and we can't keep her sedated for a week to stop the rubbing, so it is what it is. Finished and found the iv infiltrated and whole transfusion went into her leg (hidden under drapes). Sigh. Crit still 20, so minimal blood loss during surgery. Another transfusion tonight, will reassess in am with +/- transfusion depending on how she is doing and plans to come home tomorrow afternoon unless major setback requiring hospitalization. She won't eat and has gone from 19 kg to 16.4 kg in the days there from stress, etc, and she will do better being home. Sending spleen out for path to see what that is - no idea at this point. She says 50/50 malignant vs benign.  Good thing we didn't do her eyes - imagine if she had beat the eyes up the same way. What a nightmare that would be.
I will pick her up around 3pm tomorrow if all goes well, but will speak with the surgeon again in the morning before I leave to make sure all it OK.
Thanks to all for the drool - Pearl is hanging in there and just wants to be home in her own bed.
Synthia, Zuma, Kahuna, Pearl (I'm going home tomorrow!), and big kids Cardiff and Griffin