[Dailydrool] Impersonating Santa's reindeer

Val Brewer vlbzwick at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 16 17:00:54 PDT 2011

We have discovered a sidwalk coffee cafe in our town, on the main sidewalk where it is legal to walk dogs, that welcomes dogs sitting in its outdoor area while their owners sip java. I took the boys down there this morning. They absolutely love it. Both hounds troll mercilessly for admirers who will give them pets. Both smile, mouths open, make eye contact with passersby walking along the nearby sidewalk, and vigorously wag their tails as each potential human love dispenser passes. Few pedestrians can resist. Invariably the passerby stops and coos at the hounds and dispenses ear skritches.

Today I wanted a little more milk in my coffee, so I looped the boys' leashes around the leg of the wrought iron chair at my table, and went in the store to the condiments counter (for about 30 seconds). When I returned outside, the boys were gone--as was the chair. Looking to my right, I quickly noticed that the boys had decided to increase their proximity to passengers debarking a cruise ship and coming down the sidewalk toward the cafe. There were Bo and Harley, pulling the chair behind them, walking along the sidewalk greeting each new tourist as if this were a reception line designed especially for them. Santa's reindeer have nothing on Bo and Harley.