[Dailydrool] Jr's day and free to a good home (not any of my dogs, or any pet for that matter) (a little long)

jacquelynn chazey aerogator27 at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 17 17:08:44 PDT 2011

First healing drool to all in need, and sympathy and condolences.  I am behind in reading, so when I catch up, I will be a lot less "blanket."
I had already decided that it was not logistically OK for me to go to the OBR fest this year, and a few days later, I got an email from Pierre's trainer asking me to volunteer at the local Pet expo.  In spirit of the OBR event, I wore their official shirt which I absolutely love, and I was complemented a lot about it.
I joined the early crew and got there at 9 am, and I pitched in to set up the tent, and I was available to chat about the facility etc, etc.  The event officially started at 11, but getting there early was prudent to get a good parking spot, and to actually get set up.  They planned to demo agility 3x in the day, but they were offering agility runs in an off demo area at $3.00 per run.  As it got later into the morning, more and more of the "experts and regulars" arrived (I am "way" newbie), so I had slack to visit exhibits, get jr. a hot dog, sign in for the costume contest and practice a little agility because I had planned all along to give the crowd a laugh.
Pierre was training great, jumping the jumps (4"), weaving on the correct lead, and he seemed to have energy.  OK spotlight jr.  I start him on the table which he loves.  The first jump, he just plods through, knocking it down, then a tire, then a tunnel to a tunnel (he loves tunnels), but he walked through the second one, then another tire, and this is when he started walking in between obstacles, then another jump knocked down, then the weave polls, very low energy, then back to the table at a full gallop because then he gets his treat.  Lots of laughs from the crowd, lots of fun commentary from Ginny, his trainer, announcing.  It was fun because it was so silly, and I don't take agility seriously with Pierre, he does a little for fun and diversion. In her commentary, Ginny emphasized that Pierre is a rescue dog, really emphasizing the need to rescue.  I appreciated that.
Auntie Walli and Auntie Cathy had arrived by this time.  I went back to the Doggie U booth to honor my volunteer commitment, but by this time, an ex-pen had been set up for a trio of beautiful standard poodles, and each was given a chew bone of sorts.  It was right next to where I had established Pierre's spot, a mere blanket as I have no portable crate for him, and he went nuts over those bones that I had to keep him out of the area.  It kind of gave me the excuse to abandon my tasks, and I did promise to return tomorrow (Ginny doesn't know it but sans Pierre), and I got to hang out with the Aunties and chill. By this time, Pierre was already so tired, that he fell asleep in a random grassy spot in the middle of foot traffic, and I handed his leash to Auntie Walli, and he did not even notice I stepped away.  By the time I came back, he was looking for me, but he really was tired.
His next and last event was the costume contest, and I admit, there were so many very clever outfits, I doubted any chance of placement at all.  Pierre was Captain America, and he was the first to parade in the competition.   Many  breeds and costumes later, much parading etc, jr. got 2nd place and a $10 gift card to Pet Land stores.  I am so proud, and I know photos will be published somewhere, and when I find out more, I will post the link.  The gift card and the many food samples I collected today are all designated to be a donation to Last Hope Rescue, an all breed rescue, but Joanne has a big heart and a look out for bassets.

What is free to a good home is my Ronco food dehydrator.  I have it to make home made chicken jerky, and it is not used often.  I used it two times, but the dogs were hovering over the scent, and I was worried fights would erupt.  I let it rest for a while, and I recently tried again.  I have to put it in the shower (on a table with an extension cord over the top of everything that could be liquid), close the shower door, close the bathroom door, close the bedroom door, and put a padlock on that door because they beat the door to death to get in.  If I need to get in that room, and I try to do it when Sis has them all in the yard, terrible things happen, like today, she let them in before I was aware, and a fight broke out between Jean Paul and Pierre.  This is the first time these two fought, and I know Jean Paul has jealousy issues with Pierre, expected, as in training Pierre, I give him a lot of attention, and Jean Paul and I are hugely bonded.  A few days ago, Pierre and Nigel got into a fight as well.  Both fights were when they got into the bedroom, one door closer to the chicken jerky, so I am eliminating that from their diet.  This is a room I hope to exercise in the future, and once that door opens, 8 drooling hounds (all sent out for healing) are so underfoot and anticipating, I feel it will be a problem to continue.  The machine has been used maybe 6 times total.  This was my last effort, and it failed.  Free to good home, my dehydrator, barely used.
Jax and the hounds