[Dailydrool] Allergies and Needles

Muriel Fiona Napier allears at rogers.com
Mon Sep 19 18:18:38 PDT 2011

“...your Vet vials of serum and you or your Vet, give the dog shots (it's a tiny
needle and I have never once known a dog to object-- like an insulin needle) ... “

Aaaaah ... you have not met my Music Hall star, Burlington Bertie from Bow, more commonly known as plain old Bertie. This gentlehound veritably blanches when he sees me approach with the allergy-shot syringe in hand. He does not hide, no, he stands like a man to take his medicine ... usually under the sideboard or the dining room table, wherever he can get to fastest. Once there, he resolutely turns his face away as I crawl determinedly after him, and moves not a muscle until he feels the first tiny prick of the needle and then he is off. Perchance I’ve managed to grasp him firmly by the scruff of the neck before daring to apply this monstrous hound-piercing implement to his person, in which case the process can, sometimes, be completed in one effort. But if I haven’t then we repair from under the table to under the sideboard (or vice versa as the case may be) and the remainder of the shot is administered. To much vocalization on his part.

Do not misunderstand me here. It is not just the “tiny” allergy needle to which he objects. This man is worthy of his steel ... any needle, whether wielded by me or by the vet, will reduce him to a baritone worthy of his name. And lest you think otherwise, he loves the vet to distraction; if I dare drive past the vet’s office without stopping, both he and Bonnie start leaping up and down in the car, crying piteously to be taken in and allowed to visit all their human friends who, they believe, live there.

But show him a needle? Were he human, he would faint.

Muriel Fiona Napier
t: 519.362.1275
pui me amat, amat et canems meum