[Dailydrool] Allergies ... or, the "A" word.

CINDY bubbakinns at sbcglobal.net
Wed Sep 21 07:23:37 PDT 2011

I too have a highly allergic basset.  Miles doesn't get much more than a day's
relief here and there all year round.  I had him tested 2 years ago and oh man
what a shocker.  Poor boy is allergic to chicken & barley food wise then has a
host of environmental allergies ... about 10 different trees native to my area,
4 weeds, a few varieties of grass, synthetic stuffing used for furniture, a
couple molds, moths, etc.. etc...   He has been on hydroxyzine for years which
doesn't even touch his itching, we started the allergy serum shots 2 years ago
and I do think they've helped a bit but have certainly not fixed the problem.
Miles is allergic to so many things that they couldn't fit it all into one
bottle!   So, he gets a shot from 2 diferent vials once a month.  We may end up
increasing it to twice a month.  On top of his 2-3 hydroxyzine twice a day he's
also recently started a prednisone regime and is now tapered down to twice
weekly.  Even that may have to increase as twice a week is not keeping the
itching at bay.  He is only fed food & treats that do not contain ANY form of
chicken or barley (doable but not easy).

It is so heartbreaking to watch him suffer with such horrible allergies and I
hope that some day I can get them under control.

Best of luck.

Cindy
Mom to Rosie, Tucker, Miles & Snap
www.ggbassetrescue.org