[Dailydrool] Food Allergy Testing

Diane Surman diane512 at ptd.net
Wed Sep 21 07:02:40 PDT 2011

I tested my Basset Chloe about 6+ years ago for food allergies. She had a
terrible allergy problem and everyone kept saying it was food related. She
ate enough different dog foods to literally circle the globe. Finally I had
enough. I had her tested for food allergies via blood testing.  It came back
NO food allergies. Then I had her tested for environmental allergies. She
pretty much had everything.  So, we tried allergy shots for a while.
Expensive, somewhat of a pain and they did absolutely no good.  The shots
actually made her worse. She had to go on prednisone while receiving the
shots.  I was trying to avoid prednisone.  Finally we stopped the shots and
decided to just keep her on 2.5 mg of pred per day. She also gets baths
every 2-3 weeks in Mal-A-Ket shampoo. All of this has greatly helped her and
she now has a good quality of life.  She does drink and pee a lot, even on
that small of an amount.  At times, I can cut back on the pred, but lately
the allergies seem really bad here in PA so she's back to a daily dose.  I
know pred isn't any good for her, but for me, it's the lesser of 2 evils.
She is 12.5 years old and as spunky as any 3 year old Basset.

Diane