[Dailydrool] Morning Report

Susan Fulmer susanbfulmer at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 10:13:53 PDT 2011

Eli is always happy to get up for breakfast, but then prefers to go back to
sleep.  It doesn't matter how badly he needs to pee; he has no interest in
going in the backyard.  The only way I can ensure he takes care of his
business is to take him for a walk.

With the mornings getting darker, it has been a challenge to get him out for
a walk this week.  He is such a sleepy head.  Yesterday, I had to harness
him while he was laying down.  It wasn't until we were half way through our
walk that I realized that I had looped 2 legs through 1 loop.

Today's challenge was the rain.  It was only drizzling, but clearly, Eli was
not interested in getting damp.  I had him leashed up (correctly, this
time), opened the door, and he laid there staring at me.  Then a bug flew
in.  Eli jumped up and proceeded to chase it around the living room.  I used
the ensuing excitement to trick him outside.  Of course, it was still
raining, so Eli stopped on the porch.  That's when I opened up his
umbrella.  Yes, his.

So we ambled along, Eli protected by his umbrella.  Me (in a rain jacket)
with a leash in one hand and his Highness's umbrella in the other.

Eventually, we made it almost around the block, and Eli found a suitable
spot for his morning poo.  I was dutifully holding the umbrella for him when
I noticed a weird looking cat running through the neighbor's yard.  "That
sure is an ugly cat," I think.  Then I realize "that" is a possum.

Mr. Possum runs frantically through the yard, then heads for the street.  I
watch a car approach, knowing that the possum is going to be in the street
just as the car passes, and that I am witnessing Mr. Possum's last moments.
I am still holding the umbrella trying to block Eli's view from the
impending carnage, because the last thing I need is him trying to run after
the possum.

The possum runs onto the street as the car approaches.  The car sees it and
swerves!  The possum runs the other way.  Then Eli sees him.  Eli lunges and
...wait for it... steps in his own poo.

Possum 1
Eli         0

-Susan & Eli (My belly got wet, but my head stayed dry...  I don't want to
talk about my paw.)