[Dailydrool] Basset killing a pup

Eleri Pastouret elerimist at gmail.com
Sat Sep 24 04:53:27 PDT 2011

Hi Everybuddy,

I would appreciate any input on the following problem.  I know you droolers are the best.  Here's the story.

A friend of mine is a basset breeder (a GOOD one).  Lately she has a problem with one of her hounds, Droopy.  Droopy is 3yrs old and she came from a not very scrupulous breeder.  She is a very gentle hound and playful.  However, the other day she took a pup (1 month old) and played with it - too hard, she shook it to death.  It was not her pup.  She was fascinated by the pups and stood guard outside the nursery.  She then, somehow, managed to open the nursery door and the pup wandered out and that's when it happened.  My friend was devastated.  She's asked several friends and breeders their opinion.  Some have suggested she breeds from this bitch, others have advised definitely against it.  One thing I should mention, Droopy only has one eye - she had an infection (can't remember what) and the eye had to be surgically removed.

Does anyone have any advice?  I'm thinking that this problem could possible come from her eyesight problem, or maybe that she's not got the maternal instinct - maybe she did not receive the right "education" as a pup herself and did not learn the maternal instinct (or it was bred out of her somewhere along the line).  Personally, I'm not too sure about breeding from her.  If my friend did breed from her I would want 24/7 surveillance in case something happened - on the other hand, could it help her acquire the maternal instinct?  I'm not sure.

If any of you behaviorists out there could give me your opinion I would appreciate it - or breeders who may have experienced this behavior.

Thanks very much in advance and hugs (and drool from the gurlz to all in need) to all of you.  It's so sad with all the illnesses and Bridge departures at the moment.

Eleri Pastouret
www.bassettissimmo.com
http://mascollection.free.fr
www.un-coeur-sous-loreille.org