[Dailydrool] Dailydrool Digest, Vol 182, Issue 5--Lymes Disease

Rkbeard at aol.com Rkbeard at aol.com
Thu Sep 29 08:31:58 PDT 2011

I once took an older rescue basset hound for hospice at my  house.  She was
considered unadoptable because she was biting her foster  mom at unexpected
times.  The foster could not bear to have her euthanized,  so I agreed to
keep her in my kennel--expecting to have her for maybe 6  months.

After she came to live with me, I found out that she had a history of
severe Lymes Disease that had not been treated until it was really  advanced.
She had been put on Rimadyl for pain because of the severe  arthritis that
resulted from the untreated Lymes.  Of course, the Rimadyl  helped with the
pain, but really did nothing to help with the arthritis.   With the
encouragement of my vet, I put her on massive doses of  glucosamine,
chondroitin, and msm, and tapered off the Rimadyl.  Within about 3  weeks,
she was much improved, and no longer needed the Rimadyl except for brief
flare-ups.  It turned out that her joints were so sore from the arthritis
that she snapped when her lower back and hips were touched--this went away
after  we changed the treatment, and she became a really loveable dog.  I had
her  for several years before she dies of heart failure.

Please e-mail me privately if you want more information.

Kathryn Beard
_rkbeard at aol.com_ (mailto:rkbeard at aol.com)