[Dailydrool] Hacked account advice for passwords

Esther Strom esthermstrom at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 10:15:56 PDT 2011

If you want to get really technical, a passphrase is much more secure than a
single password made up of random characters.

http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2011/09/cutting-the-gordian-knot-of-web-identity.html
- the article is way more geeky than most of you will probably want to get
(I'm a programmer), but the cartoon at the very beginning is pretty clear.
Most hacked passwords are not guessed by a human, but by a computer which
can easily run through all kinds of random character iterations. It's much
harder for it to guess a random phrase made up of real words. So something
like "freaky hound harness leash" would be more difficult for a computer to
guess than something like a7^j2M, but much easier for you to remember.

Thank you, and this concludes our lesson on internet security.

-Esther, Basil, and Waldo ATB