[Dailydrool] allergies

Esther Strom esthermstrom at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 07:43:46 PDT 2011

It depends if your vet thinks they're food allergies or environmental
allergies. If they're food allergies, the vet will most likely advise an
elimination diet - you start with a single protein and carb - like lamb and
rice - and completely eliminate all other foods (including treats.) You have
to be very strict about this. If the allergies abate, after a certain period
of time (usually about 6 weeks) you will add one more food (like chicken)
and keep doing that for a time. You gradually add foods back into the diet
until the allergy symptoms present again, at which point you can be sure
which food caused the symptoms.

If the vet suspects environmental allergies, there are blood tests they can
do. I'm not sure they do scratch tests like they do in humans. Why not ask
your vet, since he/she is the one who suggested allergies in the first
place.

-Esther, Basil, and Waldo ATB