[Dailydrool] Gas-x and Benadryl

Nancy nancykay9 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 15:25:47 PDT 2012

 For a long time, we thought frank the tank had "gastric issues" because of what we were feeding. We eliminated every possible upsetting thing, and he still occasionally has problems. We now think he eats something delicious (to a basset) in the yard. He gets very uncomfortable, paces, salivates heavily, can't settle down. We gave Gas-x pills after every meal for a while, but have discovered that the infant simethicone liquid works better and faster whenever Frankie has an episode. We give him a couple of squirts, and he's usually much better in 20-30 minutes. He also gets two altoid peppermints -- they get rid of any bad taste in his mouth, we think.

Re Benadryl -- our vet said we could give up to 4 of the regular tablets at a time, especially at onset of a problem. Frank is allergic to bee stings, so we give him 4 if we think he has been stung, and then 2 at a time after that. We did rush him to the vet once for facial swelling, since we didn't know for sure what he tangled with ( bee, snake, spider . . .) They gave him an additional antihistamine shot, sent us home with instructions to watch. He was sleepy, and fine.

Nancy, owned by frank the tank and Tina-weena

Sent from my iPad