[Dailydrool] damn beagle day two, a bit long, sorry

jacquelynn chazey aerogator27 at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 4 16:50:52 PDT 2012

OK, Oliver has been great, but as he is relaxing and finding his way in the herd, he is taking opportunities to show potential true colors.  For example, at the Vet today, two exhausted assistants were kind to not complain, and when I asked how he was, they said a handful, muzzle necessary.  We went to Petco after so he could pick a toy that is his own, not recycled, and he loves squeaky plush ones, and he got his collar tag.  There is a dog friendly wine store next to Petco, and Oliver was invited to visit AFTER I got my Geyser Peak  Sav Blanc.  The fellow remarked that he saw all the bassets who came for breakfast for bassets a few weeks earlier.  (I am learning how to work wine into my Weight Watchers program, and so far, I have lost about 1.4 pounds a week since I started, total of 23 pounds, and I will ask those who were willing to pledge for me for ABC if they still want to contribute, but that is another story.)
Sis and I did one all dogs in the fenced yard adventure, but it was too much.  The herd charged hard at the poor Oliver, so I pulled him out, and gave him a private walk.
Later on, I put Oliver and Jr. in the yard, and as a one on one, they played great.  Big 500 action from the both of them, but Jr. cheated and let Ollie run and run and run till he was out of breath, and then big brave Jr. decided it was time to run again.  Yes, I will video this action, it is just too cute.  If I only can figure out how to use the camera???
I was really worried about feeding, because I free feed, and I know the stories of beagles and food, but he has not been gulping.  I was told he was a fast eater, but, and this may change when he relaxes, he just samples all day long like the bassets.  They do well with the protocol, so I hope the baby can adapt.
First sign of damn beagle.  Just a little while ago, he decided to gather and collect my personal blankie (usually what all the hounds try to steal from me everyday), but no hound ever did this.  Oliver gathered the blanket into a ball, and wanted to go wild sexy on it.  He grrred a tiny bit when I tried to get it away, but very low threshold of a threat.  I made sure I took my pillow away as well.
I welcome him, and I noticed something else about him which makes him closer to Pierre Sr. in my eyes.  He has half a white whiskers and half black whiskers on his muzzle which Sr. had, and when Mom and I discussed it with one of the Vets he said it was uncommon.
I will love Oliver for being Oliver, not because I think he is Sr.  I don't think he is Sr., really, but perhaps, Sr. is letting me know somehow that we are still connected, and, that alone, can help me sleep at night.
BTW, Oliver, never slept at night out of his crate until last night, and he was by my knees all night.  Jr. was in bed with us also, but it is a king bed, lots of room, and yet they squeeze me to the edge.  His former Mom said she tried to get him to sleep in bed one night but he didn't want to do it.  I say dogs lead by example, so since Jr. was there, Oliver wanted to be there too.
His crate is set up, and the door is open, he went into it a couple of times last night, not at all today.  He likes beds.
Just another day in house of hounds.
Drool to all in need.
Jackie and 36 paws

BTW - I know it is in the archives, but if I can take a short cut, I need a thunder shirt for Oliver.  He is fearful of storms and fireworks.  Also, I got the hoodie thing for my other fearful of loud noises bassets, and it really helped, so if any rescue has got involved with this, please let me know.  I need one for Oliver as well.