[Dailydrool] body slamming and shoulder bumping

Marie Campbell moonlitlily1212 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 5 14:30:06 PDT 2012

     I would advise everyone to NOT let any dog ever body slam or knock into your bassets.  It is also not a good idea to let rough dogs that are much larger then yours play together.  Either avoid the dog parks that are full of disease and dogs that like to bully others or don't be surprised if your dog gets gravely injured.
    If you own a dog that likes to bully or body slam others do not put them out with smaller dogs.  Take them out and play with them yourself.  Do not let them take their frustrations out on the others.  Some dogs are just naturally rough and rambunctious and need to be closely watched.  They may need to be exercised by you alone or you may need to play fetch for hours to settle them down but don't let them work out on your other dogs ever.
    A dog slamming into another while running can easily dislocate a shoulder, break a leg, damage a spine or neck permanently.  They can also kill.  My friend had a toy poodle that used to run in the yard with the family's German Shepherd.  Well, one day they were both running for the same ball and the shepherd ran into the poodle. The poodle screamed and dropped dead. The shepherd had ruptured her kidneys when he ran onto her.
    Maybe, I am more aware of this danger because I have had giant dogs for 17 years but don't fool yourself into thinking bassets are tougher then they are.  Their elongated back makes them extremely vulnerable to injury.  They are short, large dogs and therefore extremely susceptible to joint, muscle, and nerve injury.  Organ damage can also be done with a bod slam.

P.S.
My boy, Luke, has even trained me to lift his rear if he wants up on the couch or bed.  He puts his front paws up and waits for me to lift the rear.  He will chortle at me until I get up and lift the rear.  he might be smarter then I am!!!
    I hope this saves some dog from a horrible injury,
    Marie and the Basset, Newfy, and Saint Crew
Man Plans ~ God Laughs