[Dailydrool] Bassets vs large dogs

Jane Hay janewhay at gmail.com
Sat Apr 7 06:33:34 PDT 2012

I have to differ with the person who said to never allow your basset to
play with a large dog. The Houndettes have been playing with my daughter's
mastiffs for years. Sasha and Brutus, who weigh 173# and 125# respectively,
are terrific playmates. Brutus has become quite a senior mastiff and really
doesn't play too much anymore but Sasha is four and grew up with our
bassets. Of course, we have always supervised their play but it has always
impressed me how careful Sasha is with the bassets. Ginger is rough and
tumble and literally will throw herself onto the ground to roll. It doesn't
matter if it's in front of one of the mastiffs or one of her sisters,
that's what she does when they're doing the 500. I agree that we have to do
everything we can to protect their spines but there is no reason to not
allow hounds to play with bigger dogs as long as there is proper
supervision. We go to the dog park and Suzy loves to run with the big dogs.
Believe it or not, our Suzy can run like the wind and loves to chase the
pack. The only time she has been in jeopardy was when she was running full
tilt and literally tripped over her ears and did a complete somersault. I
saw it with my own eyes and about had a heart attack until she picked
herself up and shook herself off. Then everyone in the park laughed until
we were all crying! I guess I have the same attitude with my hounds that I
did when my two leggers were growing up. As much as I wanted to lock them
in a rubber room to keep them safe, it wasn't possible. We all do
everything we can to keep our loved ones safe but our dogs need to be
dogs. The DH and I will continue to go to the park and let Suzy run with
the big dogs and let 173# Sasha do the 500 with the Houndettes and keep
thinking she's a basset hound. I can't imagine inhibiting the joy these
beautiful creatures feel when they're running and playing! Life is a risk
no matter what you do.

Chris, you've been keeping us straight for the Shelter Challenge. Who are
we voting for this time? I believe voting starts Monday!

The Houndettes, the DH and I are wishing all of you a happy, peaceful
Easter. The Houndettes are slinging heart healing and get well drool to all
in need.

Jane & the Houndettes
Jersey, Shadow, Suzy & Ginger