[Dailydrool] Bassets playing with large dogs

Marie Campbell moonlitlily1212 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 7 18:35:22 PDT 2012

 Hi Listers,
    I have Newfoundlands, Saints, and Bassets, so, of course they all play together.  I have no objection to that.  My objection is to any dog body slamming another.  I don't care if it is the Bassets doing it to each other.  Some basset boys are quite large and powerful and overwhelm the smaller females; although, it has been my experience that the females can take care of themselves though screaming and snapping!
    I have raised Newfs for 17 years and we always have to be really, really careful that young dogs and puppies don't get slammed or bumped by older dogs.  Newf females grow for 2 1/2 years and boys grow for 3 1/2 to 4 years and their growth plates take any where from 2 to 3 years to close so we have to be careful.  I just don't like the body slamming or bumping.  It makes me nervous.  My Bassets are far more domineering then my giant dogs and really rule the roost for the most part.
    I just don't like dog parks and I see too many times dogs getting hurt when running with strange dogs that are physically rough and aggressive.  ( I also don't like the guess factor on who has been vaccinated and who is harboring a fun new disease-canine 'flu anyone?  That was spread like wild fire a couple of years ago in the dog parks.)  I love labs and dobermans (I am petsitting 9 of them right now!) but both these breeds are notorious for rough play.  My Newfs and Saints are soft as a kitten compared to them.  My 6 months old Newf boy laid his head on my 92 year old grandmother's lap for an hour and was extremely gentle with her.  My fat 2 year old Basset boy laid across my 90 year old grandfather's lap and and had him pinned--very sweetly of course and just loved him but still....  God Bless, my Luke!
    I just think people need to be mindful about letting their dogs off lead in parks and doggie play areas with strange dogs and make sure no one is getting physically bullied.  I know the Bassets are rough and they force the Newfs to play whether they want to or not.  They also like to bite the big dogs' ankles!
    Ever notice how many lawsuits are on court TV involving dog parks?  Judge Judy has a couple a week.  UGH!
Marie Campbell
Man Plans ~ God Laughs