[Dailydrool] Pandora's box

Dale Rutz dalerutz at sbcglobal.net
Tue Apr 10 09:27:33 PDT 2012

Hi all,

Here we go, clueless momPerson opening up Pandoras box.

My dogs have been on Advantrix II which repels fleas AND mosquitos.   It works
VERY well for my dogs and I never find a flea.  Where we live west nile is heavy
and we get sprayed several times during the summer to knock it down some, so I
use the one that has a mosquito repelent.  Our area has NEVER had heartworm so I
have always just used the advantrix II which kills the fleas and also repels the
mosquitos which carry both heartworm and west nile.  Now things are changing.

With the arrival of the Katrina dogs the SF Bay area has begun to see some
heartworm where we really never did before.  My dogs are heartworm negative ...
but my vet is recommending (strongly) we add the heartworm preventative
specifically.

For LuLu I got some of the Advantage Multi (which IS a heartworm preventative in
addition to killing fleas and tics) from rescue while she was still a foster.  I
applied it and treated Cyrus and Snoopy with the Advantrix II at the same time.
Cyrus and Snoopy are fine, no itches.  I have, however, found the odd flea on
LuLu and she is really, really bothered by them.

So .... let's hear it droolers.  What do you use to control fleas, tics and
mosquitos?  Advantrix II seems to work really well for Cyrus and Snoopy so I was
thinking of staying with that and adding the editible heartworm preventative.
But, maybe it would be better to buy the advantage multi because it would be one
treatment instead of two.  Are folks using this?  Does it keep the fleas off the
dog?

Please advise.  Rememeber, I am ... the clueless momPerson ... with Cyrus and
Snoopy who have no fleas to be found and LuLu who seems to have the odd one here
and there.