[Dailydrool] Just remembered another piece of information

Val Brewer vlbzwick at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 22 19:09:17 PDT 2012

I just remembered another piece of information regarding the flea and tick control medicine discussion. Read what the box of your medicine says--Some of the medicines say "Kills fleas and prevents infestations" (Comfortis/spinosad); Some of them say "Controls flea populations..prevents heartworm disease/adult hookworm infections/removes and controls adult roundworm  and whipworm infections" (Sentinel/milbemycin oxime & lufenuron). Notice the difference in the wording regarding fleas in the first medicine and the second one. The first one kills live fleas that are on the dog. The second one sterilizes the fleas and kills their eggs and larvae BUT does not kill any live fleas that are already on the dog. That's why my vet has dog owners use the two medicines. As nearly as I can tell, neither does anything for ticks, at least these two medicines. For that, when we have found ticks (none in several years, knock on wood), we have used a tick collar.