[Dailydrool] Getting a new dog on Thursday

Barbara Stacey barbara.stacey at sbcglobal.net
Tue Apr 24 07:40:02 PDT 2012

Elmo will be getting a friend on Thursday. He has been so lost and lonely since
Blossom died last fall. I wanted to wait until the right dog came along and I
truly believe Blossom sent us Norton.I will write the story of her part in this
adoption later.

Norton is 9 years old and has been with a very nice young family. They love
bassets and have had them a long time. Due to life circumstances they are no
longer able to keep Norton.They wanted to make sure he had a good home so after
we all met each other and the dogs got along well, we decided to give him a new
home.

I would like to ask all you experienced droolers how to go about this so things
go smoothly. The previous owners are bringing over his vet records, bed, food,
toys, etc. How do I integrate his stuff into Elmo's. Will Elmo be jealous and
will there be turf wars? I already intend to feed them separately to avoid food
aggression. Any info or suggestions will be much appreciated. You don't need to
post privately. Others might like to know how to  welcome a new dog into the
household without too much conflict.

Thanks so much, Barb in KC, Elmo, & Blossom ATB