[Dailydrool] Tornadoes

DIERKER j.mdierker at sbcglobal.net
Mon Apr 30 21:20:20 PDT 2012

We got hit with a tornado last year and I learned things the hard way. If you can crate a pet in the basement away from the windows, I'd say that's the safest. There were houses around me that were leveled, and no pet crate would have stood up to that. I was able to get my dogs downstairs, but they all balked at going into the closet. Now I have 5 slip  leads to nab them instantly. No more playing chase while the windows are breaking around us. Give yourself time to get into the basement. If the sirens start, realize you should go down now since there are numerous basset bodies and other bodies probably too, which need to go down. Our sirens went off Saturday and I had two dogs and a lizard downstairs and in the closet in less than two minutes. Hubby had the other two right after me. They might look cool on television, but don't stand at the door looking for it. Our tornado was shrouded in rain, and it was never seen.  And if you hear the sound of the
 "train" it means it's here, not that it's coming. You better be somewhere safe already, because it's not what you want to hear while you're on your front porch.If you have to evacuate your home, know where you're going. Make arrangements with friends so you have a plan in place, and realize your route might be blocked. Be ready to improvise. I had three routes and every one of them were blocked. Keep gas in your car. A 10 minute trip could be 3 hours or more.
Every single one of my dogs freaks now when they just hear the rain. It used to be only one of them did. I hate it that they remember it so well but at least we were all safe.
Janet, Yogi, Carlie Jane, Dolly, Bernie and Bunny