[Dailydrool] pet insurance

Wilder, Sharon Sharon.Wilder at Simonandschuster.com
Sat Apr 14 02:40:46 PDT 2012

After going back and forth in my mind about this for a couple of years I finally canceled my VPI insurance for the 4 hounds.  Mind you I have been paying VPI for all of them since they were puppies with very few claims.  With annual increases I was paying almost $200 a month for the 4 of them, 2 are 9 years old, a 6 year old and 5 year old.  I also had the Wellness package which paid next to nothing for their annual visits.  When we finally did need them for the Queen's mast cell surgery last year they reimbursed a whopping $400 on a surgery that was over $2,000.  When Huggie Bear developed back issues in October thay reimbursed less than $200 on a bill that was over $700.  I feel they should pay a much greater percent and since we live in NY we have to have the most expensive plan since vet costs are supposedly higher here.  So I finally cut them off.  I still go back and forth about it in my head but feel I made the right decision.  In my opinion the reimbursements should have been much higher than they were.